- Created by: genie
- Created on: 19-05-10 17:16
English Civil War 1642
- 1625 Charles I is King and marries a french catholic, Henrietta Maria.
- 1628- He does Personal Rule (rule without Parliament).
- He is advised by the unpopular Duke of Buckingham.
- POLITICAL- his personality, personal rule, unpopular advisors.
- RELIGIOUS- Changes to Church with Archbishop Laud, punishment of Puritan pamphlet writers, Prayer book rebellion.
- FINANCIAL- Has to call parliament as in debt after war with Scots, Illegal taxes.
- SHORT TERM- Grand remonstrance, 19 propositions.
- 1645- creation of new model army.
- 1649- Execution of Chalres I.
- 1653- Rump parliament dissolved, Cromwell becomes Lord protector.
- 1658- Death of Cromwell.
1 of 2
- 1660- Restoration of Charles II.
- 1665- plague.
- 1666- Great fire of London.
- 1685- Death of Charles II, James II (brother of Charles II) becomes King.
- 1688- Glorious Revolution, James dies and his daughter , Mary (who is married to the protestant) William of Orange, takes the throne!
2 of 2