Zimmerman and West
- Recorded interruptions in conversation between men and women
- Found 96% of interruptions were by men
- Suggests men are more dominant in male-female conversations
- Reflects male dominance in society
1 of 4
- Identified power within a male patriarchal order in society ( society is lead by men )
- States that language embodies structure that sustain male power
- Mr and Mrs, Boys and Girls
2 of 4
- Repeated Zimmerman and West's experiement and found that men and women interrupt almost as equally
- "The problem is that this man could be an anomolie, as he could be very dominant"
- "Or do interruptions reflect interest and not dominance"
3 of 4
What influnences dominance?
- environment / setting
- ratio of men to women
- demand characteristics
4 of 4
Similar English Language resources: