- Created by: Joanna
- Created on: 18-02-09 11:35
What is the Welfare State?
19th Century Political view was ==> laissez-faire (the government didn't interfere in people's lives).
Health, Education, Elderly Care dealt with by the individual themselves.
After WW2 the BEVERIDGE Report was released.
Identified 5 Giant Evils:
This led to the establishment of The Welfare State.
Now many people say there isToo MuchGovernment interference... we now live in a "Nanny State".
Successes of the Welfare State
You will need to learn ALL of these...
- Removed Absolute Poverty
- Everyone has access to medical care via the NHS
- Free State Education
- Slum housing has been Demolished
- People are given the means to train for jobs
- State pensions enable us to live in Financial Security
Failures of the Welfare State
AND all of these!
- Doesn't provide sufficient money to those in need
- Vulnerable people leave institutional care without the support of alternative care structures
- Introduction of charges for eye and dental checks
- Move towards the principle of selective provision
- NHS hospital waiting lists are increasing
- Unemployment & Homelessness still RIFE