'Miss Drake Proceeds to Supper' by Plath
- This poem conradicts the idea of a peaceful hospital as the narrator is being attacked. 'ambushed air'
- Different to many Plath poems as the narrator is objective whereas generally Plaths poetry is subjective.
1 of 4
'Spinster' by Plath
- narrator prefers the harsh neatness of winter rather than the life and joy of spring.
- Throughout this poem there seems to be an almost hatred of love and any emotion apart from hate or distaste.
- There is a stong contrast of spring (loev, fertility and life) and winter (order, rigid, cruel and death).
- Te narrator loaths love as she sees it as a loss of control... 'Pitch her five queenly wits into vulgar motley' 'treason not to be bourne'
2 of 4
'Medallion' by Plath
- Plath constrasts Hughes in the way she writes about nature: she always seems to be distant.
- Flam imagery is used constantly 'orange' 'bronze' ' vermillion'
- Beauty in death 'smouldering'
- Satanic imagery 'rose colored arrow' image of satan's tongue as forked as well as his tail.
3 of 4
'You're' by Plath
- First pregnancy
- Manifestation of love between two people- literally and artistically. 'Right like a well-done sum'
4 of 4
Similar English Literature resources: