- Took radical slant
- employed WILLIAM RUSSEL - first modern war reporter
- didn't have permission to go to the crimea from the amry or the government.
- He exposed appalling conditions and administrative incompetence.
- He reported bravery of soldiers when it impressed him
- Not all William Russels accounts can be seen to be 100% accurate and sources suggest that he wasn't present at many of the battles and he was very anti turk and french.
- Did much to sway the publics opinion against the war and for reform.
Why was the army so worried? - The Times was the most important and widely read newspaper - Influencial people would read his reports
FENTON - First and most influencial photographer in CRIMEA - worked for commercial company - Only in CRIMEA for 4 months - Photos shocked people - Thousands visited his exhibition - No dead bodies in photos
Impact of Reporting
- Public became very involved directly through media
- Independant sources of information
- TIMES FUND set up to alleviate suffering (paid for Nightengale to go)
- TIMES EFFECT fully felt
- Use of telegraph sped up news
- Started trend fo war correspondants