Slides in this set
29th November 1855
· Sidney Herbert launches a national appeal, upon
the wave of national enthusiasm.
· Herbert aimed to raise funds for their scheme to
improve female nursing standards.
· A committee was set up with Herbert as the
· Money flooded; including a diamond brooch from
· A Nightingale Training School was set up.…read more
Post-War for Seacole
· The end of the War left `Seacole and Day' in the
Crimea bankrupt and with unsellable stock.
· Seacole and Thomas Day made their way back to
England on several steam ships.
· They set up a provisions store in the garrison
town of Aldershot but it failed within months.
· By October 1856, she was renting rooms in
· Seacole wrote a book `Wonderful Adventure of
Mary Seacole in Many Lands' the royalties paid for
her in old age.…read more
· The British government, appalled by reports of
mismanagement and poor supplies, orders Sir John
McNeill & Colonel Alexander Tulloch to go to the
· McNeill & Tulloch were given two sets of instructions:
To investigate the public side of the supply chain.
To investigate the military side of the affair.
· The Report causes furore, highlighting civilian
mismanagement and military negligence, despite a
whitewash by an Army Board of Enquiry.…read more
Cardwell's Army Reforms
· Parliament agree several acts to improve the
conditions of Britain's military and supply lines.
War Office formed from various departments.
Country divided into regimental districts.
Length of overseas service cut from 12 to 6 years.
Purchase of promotions abolished.
C-in-C made answerable to the Secretary of War.
Flogging of soldiers in peacetime abolished.
Soldiers could chose to be in the reserves, 4d per day.…read more