Battle of Jutland
The Battle if Jutland
- Only major sea battle and it was in 1916.
- Both sides (Germany and Britain) claimed victory.
- Germany had sank 14 British ships and lost 11 themselves.
- Even though Germany did cause most damage, they didn't achieve their goal which was to remove the blockade.
The British blockade
- This was a key factor in the defeat of Germany.
- It made the German army weaker and the people lose some support for the war.
- 1914-18, 300,000 deaths related to malnutrition.
- The government was forced to kill third of pigs, because they couldn't feed them.
- Cut off nitrates, no explosives for army and fertillisers for farmers.
- 1916, adult meat ration for one week was the same as two burgers.
1 of 2
The U-boat campaign
- Germany was using U-boats
2 of 2