Slides in this set
Mexico has a large youthful population.
· The population grew from just 20 million in 1940 to 70 million by
1980 and is fast approaching 110 million.
· The fertility rate in 1970 was high as 7.1 but is much lower now. In
2008, it was still above the replacement level, at 2.4.
· The average age in Mexico is just 26.
· 47% of Mexico's young people are now entering the childbearing
Why is Mexico's population changing?
· A low death rate. This is due to more childhood vaccinations being
introduced, an increase in doctors and efforts to reduce infant
· Although the birth rate is falling, there is still a large percentage of
young people. Even if these young people have fewer children than
their parents did, the population of Mexico's will still continue to
What does this mean for Mexico?
· A large youthful population requires an increase in school places.
· Large numbers of young people are unable to find work so some
migrate to the USA in order to find work.
· There is a growing manufacturing industry.…read more