- Who was who in 17th Century France
- Princes of the blood- relatives of the King who belonged to the Bourbon family
- Noblesse de L'epee (Sword Nobles)- Fought for the King and performed administrative services for the crown
- Noblesse de la robe (robe nobility)- Many were merchants who bought noble status, some received it as they were hereditary.
- The First Estate- The clergy, they don't pay the Taille
- The Second Estate- The nobility
- The Third Estate - Other, peasants
- Taille - A tax for people in North and South of France. Direct tax paid by 3rd estate
- Gabelle - Salt tax, like the Taille
- Estates-General -Parliament type feature made up of reps from all the estates. Had little political impact.
- Provincial Estates - Burgandy, Daufine, Provenance, Langue Edoc, Normandy and Guyenne, and other regional parliaments
Similar History resources: