- Helen Suzman
- She was elected to the house assembly in 1953 as a member of the United Party(took over from the nationalists).
- She was the only member of parliament who took opposed apartheid consistently for 13 years (1961-74).
- She was once accused of asking questions that embarrassed South Africa.
- She replied; "It is not my questions the embarrass South Africa; it is your answers".
- She was awarded 27 honorary doctorates from universities around the world, and was twice nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- She was the enemy from within concerning the apartheid system.
- She logically floored and arguments that supported apartheid.
- She gained lots of international recognition.
- Organisations and Positions.
- What did she do that was important?
Similar History resources: