- Created by: Megnicpip
- Created on: 19-06-18 19:05
- Battle of Salamis
- 90ft long and 18ft wide=long and narrow
- made mainly from pine
- it was very light because it was built for speed
- 170-220 oresmans on average
- when it rams the speed causes the vessel to pulse
- Xerxes Mistakes
- retreating ships collide with advancing, numbers turn against them
- ignores artamesians advice to not fight, hubris
- 'spare your ships and don't fight a sea battle'
- 'he is sympathetic to the Persian king'
- Greeks thought in an 'organised and disciplined way'
- Themistocles and Salamis
- got the athenians to strengthen the navy
- 'only your wooden walls will save you'
- messaged persians to trick them into going into battle
- vague on how it is fought
- Athenian bias
- Key Quotes by Heroditus
- 'a battle in the narrows'
- '200 ships manned with her own men'
- 'the barbarians fought without order'
Similar Classics resources: