1. What was happening in Greece and Turkey?
- They were under threat as they were what stood between the rest of Europe and communism, so they were the USSR's next targets
- They went to war with each other
- They both got simultaneously invaded by Germany
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Churchill first used the term ‘Iron Curtain.’ What did he mean?
- He was drunk so he did not know what he was saying
- to describe the ominous postwar boundary in Europe between self-governing nations of the West and those in Eastern Europe which had recently come under the powerful grip of Soviet Russia.
- There were curtains made out of iron in Russia
3. Who attended the Yalta and Potsdam conferences?
- Rasputin and Tsar Nicholas II
- Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini attended both conferences
- At the Yalta conference Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin attended but at the Potsdam conference Attlee, Truman and Stalin attended due to Roosevelt dying and Churchill losing the election.
- Leaders from all major powers in Europe
4. What was comecon?
- Someone called Con was left behind and someone in front had to call back to him
- Comecon (Council for Mutual Economic Assistance) 1949 This co-ordinated industries and trade of Eastern Europe. The idea of it was to trade with each other and not the West.
- A place where people dress up as characters from famous films
5. What was Cominform?
- Having established Communist governments in Eastern Europe Stalin wanted to tighten his control. Cominform 1947. This co-ordinated governments in Eastern Europe. He gave out instructions to Communist governments as to what they must do.