1. What was comecon?
- Someone called Con was left behind and someone in front had to call back to him
- Comecon (Council for Mutual Economic Assistance) 1949 This co-ordinated industries and trade of Eastern Europe. The idea of it was to trade with each other and not the West.
- A place where people dress up as characters from famous films
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why was it known as the 'Cold War'?
- It's ironic as it was very hot
- Because the two countries never fought each other directly, it was called a “cold” war meaning there was no physical fighting
- As it was very cold as they faught
- As they never stopped fighting for one second during the war
3. What was agreed at Yalta in February 1945?(Germany was not yet defeated)
- In Yalta managed to agree to split Germany into four zones of occupation, to allow free elections in Eastern European countries. Russia was invited to join the United Nations, Russia promised to join the war against Japan when Germany was defeated.
- Germany was to be destroyed after they were defeated
- That the allies would surrender the war
4. What was Cominform?
- Having established Communist governments in Eastern Europe Stalin wanted to tighten his control. Cominform 1947. This co-ordinated governments in Eastern Europe. He gave out instructions to Communist governments as to what they must do.
5. Why did the USA drop the atom bombs?
- They did it by accident.
- President Harry S. Truman, warned by some of his advisers that any attempt to invade Japan would result in horrific American casualties, ordered that the new weapon be used to bring the war to a speedy end
- They thought it would be funny.
- They got Japan mixed up with North Korea