1. What is the cycle time of the nose (during which different nostrils have different flow rates and smell different things)?
- 3 hours
- 3 minutes
- 1 hour
- 30 minutes
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. At what concentration is butyl mercaptan detectable at?
- 100 ppm
- 10 ppm
- 10 ppb
- 100 ppb
3. What is the shape theory of odor receptors?
- Whether a odorant smells the same or different to another is based on its IR vibrational spectrum
- Lock and key theory - whether an odorant molecule smells the same or different to another is based on whether it has a complementary shape to the receptor binding site of the OSN
- Molecules might have to be the right shape to ‘dock’ with receptor sites but then bond energies determine the final activation level
4. Is the taste sensory cortex lateralised?
- We cannot say because experimentally limiting taste to one side of the tongue is too difficult
- May be
5. What is the McClintock effect?
- Women are attracted to men with complementary immunity
- Humans have a functioning VNO, which affected mate choice based on pheromones
- Women living together will synchronise their menstrual cycles due to a pheromone found in sweat
- Women do not synchronise their menstrual cycles