1. What are the advantages of overt observations?
- Observer can take notes openly, ask naive questions that only an outsider could ask and use interview methods to check insights derived from observations.
- The observer can go native
- Allows researcher to gain insights through asking questions only an insider would need to ask and use interview methods to check insights derived from observations.
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. Name one practical disadvantage participant observation can cause.
- Can take too little time
- Can be time consuming
- Can be too valid
3. Why are participant observations argued to be invalid?
- Because findings are often too subjective and impressions gained from observer are often biased.
- Findings are often objective and impresssions gained from observer are often biased.
4. What are the disadvantages of covert observations?
- Cant combine other reserch methods,requires researcher to keep up an act and may risk engaging in illegal activity
- May cause researcher to go native, keep up an act and reduce risk of altering people's behaviour.
5. What are the disadvantages of overt observations?
- Group may refuse researcher permission and cause hawthorne effect.
- Researcher may cause hawthorne effect and engage in illegal activity.