1. The GUMG uncovered the following (all correct)
- sample quickly recognised the ideological messages contained in photos that the strike was violent and miners were to blame
- people sympathetic to miners cause were weakened in their support by what they saw on the news
- majority of sample who had not directly experienced the strike interpreted it as violent and illegitimate
- however, some members of the audience rejected the ideological message although these tended to be in the minority
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did the GUMG study?
- Miner's strike
- Afro Caribbean males
3. Where did Curran state that it was most obvious that popular tabloid newspapers were guilty of ideological practices?
- coverage of everything
- coverage of entertainment issues
- coverage of serious issues
4. Who noted that the audience had no direct experience/knowledge of an issue then the ideological power of the media message will be strong and likely to shape an individuals view of the social world?
5. Who stated that the Cultural Effects Model needs to be dynamic and account for the fact that people may internalise/reject media messages based on their personal experiences?
Similar Sociology resources: