1. The GUMG uncovered the following (all correct)
- however, some members of the audience rejected the ideological message although these tended to be in the minority
- people sympathetic to miners cause were weakened in their support by what they saw on the news
- sample quickly recognised the ideological messages contained in photos that the strike was violent and miners were to blame
- majority of sample who had not directly experienced the strike interpreted it as violent and illegitimate
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who noted that the audience had no direct experience/knowledge of an issue then the ideological power of the media message will be strong and likely to shape an individuals view of the social world?
3. The 5 common sense ideas conveyed by tabloids according to Curran (all correct)
- Black people are potential criminals
- Happiness is about possessions and money
- Most asylum seekers are just illegal immigrants
- You must look like the models in magazines
- Being a celebrity is really important
4. Who found that varied audience groups do have a very clear understanding of the intended ideological message found in media content and a section of that audience often accurately reproduce it in terms of their own attitudes?
5. Who stated that the popular press support the common sense view of the world that helps to maintain and justify existing inequalities?
Similar Sociology resources: