1. Burke criticises Cloward & Ohlin, as their subcultures are...
- Vague and studied during the 1960s
- Outdated and only based in Chicago
- Outdated and only based in Seattle
- Outdated, vague, unreliable and only based in Michigan
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. A criticism of Cohen is that he doens't acknowledge that...
- Some criminal subcultures don't reward violence etc.
- Some youths may have always wanted to deviate, rather than changing from being normal.
- Women also deviate.
- There are different types of deviance, not just utilitarian crime.
3. Polsky & Davis say that minor crimes can prevent more serious crimes, by acting as a...
- Criminal cushion
- Safety valve
- Safety net
4. Durkheim believes that society needs a what?
- Bond of attachment
- Common history (social solidarity)
- Element of trust
- Way of displaying norms
5. Subcultural theorists - Cloward & Ohlin created 3 responses to why w/c members deviate in different ways. These were:
- Repressive, deterministic and critical subcultures
- Rebellion, victimised and poor groups
- Criminal, conflict and retreatist subcultures
- Criminal, ideological and harmful subcultures