1. Polsky & Davis say that minor crimes can prevent more serious crimes, by acting as a...
- Safety valve
- Safety net
- Criminal cushion
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the underclass?
- High rates of long term unemployment
- Acceptance of crime and deviance
- Part-time employment
- Illegitimacy (kids outside marriage)
3. Durkheim says that 'crime is normal and an integral part of all healthy societies' as it...
- Helps the public understand that everyone can commit crime from time to time
- Highlights that crime will be punished
- Re-establishes boundaries, tracks social change and creates social solidarity
- Shows that it is normal to commit crime
4. Durkheim believes that society needs a what?
- Common history (social solidarity)
- Way of displaying norms
- Element of trust
- Bond of attachment
5. A criticism of Cohen is that he doens't acknowledge that...
- There are different types of deviance, not just utilitarian crime.
- Some youths may have always wanted to deviate, rather than changing from being normal.
- Some criminal subcultures don't reward violence etc.
- Women also deviate.