1. Durkheim says that 'crime is normal and an integral part of all healthy societies' as it...
- Shows that it is normal to commit crime
- Helps the public understand that everyone can commit crime from time to time
- Re-establishes boundaries, tracks social change and creates social solidarity
- Highlights that crime will be punished
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. Merton's strain theory suggests that deviance...
- Occurs when people are unable to achieve socially approved goals by legitimate means.
- Happens even when people have an option of avoiding it.
- Happens when people are strained and stressed.
- Is a likely event in the family.
3. Which is not one of Merton's strain theory groups?
4. Cohen: formed the idea that criminal subcultures invert the values of mainstream society (what society condemns, they praise). This was known as the...
- Opposite values hierarchy
- Criminal subculture structure
- Alternative status hierarchy
- Inverted delinquency order
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the underclass?
- Acceptance of crime and deviance
- Part-time employment
- High rates of long term unemployment
- Illegitimacy (kids outside marriage)