1. Polsky & Davis say that minor crimes can prevent more serious crimes, by acting as a...
- Criminal cushion
- Safety valve
- Safety net
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. A criticism of Cohen is that he doens't acknowledge that...
- There are different types of deviance, not just utilitarian crime.
- Women also deviate.
- Some youths may have always wanted to deviate, rather than changing from being normal.
- Some criminal subcultures don't reward violence etc.
3. Subcultural theorists - Cloward & Ohlin created 3 responses to why w/c members deviate in different ways. These were:
- Rebellion, victimised and poor groups
- Criminal, ideological and harmful subcultures
- Criminal, conflict and retreatist subcultures
- Repressive, deterministic and critical subcultures
4. Burke criticises Cloward & Ohlin, as their subcultures are...
- Vague and studied during the 1960s
- Outdated, vague, unreliable and only based in Michigan
- Outdated and only based in Chicago
- Outdated and only based in Seattle
5. Merton's strain theory suggests that deviance...
- Occurs when people are unable to achieve socially approved goals by legitimate means.
- Happens when people are strained and stressed.
- Is a likely event in the family.
- Happens even when people have an option of avoiding it.