1. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the underclass?
- High rates of long term unemployment
- Acceptance of crime and deviance
- Part-time employment
- Illegitimacy (kids outside marriage)
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. Durkheim believes that society needs a what?
- Bond of attachment
- Way of displaying norms
- Common history (social solidarity)
- Element of trust
3. Cicourel criticises Merton, because...
- The official stats used by Merton exaggerate w/c crime, as the w/c do experience the most strain, yet they don't all deviate.
- Innovators aren't a real group in society, but merely an exaggeration of other groups.
- Merton over-defends the working class, even though they do experience the largest strain.
- He is vague in analysing the types of groups.
4. Functionalists aim to maintain what?
- Social order
- The ability to create a revolution
5. Parsons: goal attainment means that we all...
- can attain different goals
- have the same ideas
- share the same goals
- want to battle for goals