1. Murray: the generosity of welfare state has led to more l.p.fs and unemployed men, leading to the rise of the what?
- Married woman
- Benefit-fixated subculture
- Unskilled labour worker
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. A criticism of Cohen is that he doens't acknowledge that...
- Some criminal subcultures don't reward violence etc.
- Some youths may have always wanted to deviate, rather than changing from being normal.
- Women also deviate.
- There are different types of deviance, not just utilitarian crime.
3. Cicourel criticises Merton, because...
- He is vague in analysing the types of groups.
- Innovators aren't a real group in society, but merely an exaggeration of other groups.
- The official stats used by Merton exaggerate w/c crime, as the w/c do experience the most strain, yet they don't all deviate.
- Merton over-defends the working class, even though they do experience the largest strain.
4. Parsons: there are 2 types of agents of social control. These are:
- Formal and informal
- Repressive and ideological
- Harsh and pleasant
- Positivist and interpretivist
5. Parsons: goal attainment means that we all...
- share the same goals
- have the same ideas
- want to battle for goals
- can attain different goals