1. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the underclass?
- Part-time employment
- Acceptance of crime and deviance
- Illegitimacy (kids outside marriage)
- High rates of long term unemployment
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. Tham: criticises Murray, as he found that Sweden also had welfare benefits - but in Sweden there was:
- Less of a moral panic about benefits
- Less unemployment, less inequality and less inprisonment (even though Swedish benefits were higher)
- More employment only
- A stronger common history
3. Burke criticises Cloward & Ohlin, as their subcultures are...
- Outdated and only based in Chicago
- Outdated and only based in Seattle
- Vague and studied during the 1960s
- Outdated, vague, unreliable and only based in Michigan
4. Durkheim says that 'crime is normal and an integral part of all healthy societies' as it...
- Helps the public understand that everyone can commit crime from time to time
- Highlights that crime will be punished
- Re-establishes boundaries, tracks social change and creates social solidarity
- Shows that it is normal to commit crime
5. Murray: the generosity of welfare state has led to more l.p.fs and unemployed men, leading to the rise of the what?
- Benefit-fixated subculture
- Unskilled labour worker
- Married woman