1. What is a common feature of the telegraphic stage?
- that children have grammatically complex combinations
- that children use two word combinations
- that children commonly omit function words
- that children use holophrases
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What are the four stages of speech?
- pre phonemic, semiphonetic, phonetic, transitional
- holophrastic stage, two word stage, telegraphic stage, post telegraphic stage
- The sight voabulary/whole word stage, discrimination net stage, the phonological recoding stage, the orthographic stage
- repeated epithet, assonance, aphorism/proverb, epithet as metaphor
3. Who believed that children are born with an innate knowledge of the structure of language
4. What did the behaviourist Skinner say?
- Children learn to speak by imitating their parents and being rewarded or punished according to the accuracy of their utterances
- When children hear examples or language they fit these into their (unconscious) mental model of how language works.
- Language is social 'children learn to use language initially... to get what they want, to play games, to stay connected to those whom are dependent.
- Langyage development goes hand in hand with the development of thinking and knowledge (cognitive development).
5. Whats an ascender?
- using symbols to express meaning
- parts of letters that go down from the line
- parts of letters that go up from the line
- understanding that in English we write from left to right