1. Which pair distinguish between the 'rulers and the ruled' and the 'rich and the poor' in explaining the first wave of democratization?
- Boix and Stokes
- Beux and Stikes
- Stone and Bone
- Box and Stick
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What, according to Huntington is a wave of democratization?
- a group of transitions from nondemocratic to democratic regimes that occur within a period of time that significantly outnumber transitions in the opposite direction during that period of time
- a period in which democracy is consolidated across the majority of democratic regimes
3. Which of the following is not a reason why the combination of presidentialism and multipartism is destabilizing according to Mainwaring?
- president can't be partisan enough
- likely to produce legislative deadlock
- more likely to produce ideological polarization
- difficulties with interparty coalition building
4. Who says that natural resources and womens' role in Muslim societies are the main obstacles to democratization there?
5. Which of the following is not a critique of Huntington's waves of democracy analysis presented by Doorenspleet?
- methodological: the number of states in the world changes to using a percentage is misleading
- it ignores the inclusivity dimension (Dahl's criteria for democracy)
- it doesn't account for level of democratic participation
- conceptual: it fails to provide a clear and meaningful distinction between democratic and nondemocratic regimes