- Created by: eves_mck
- Created on: 12-02-19 21:42
Was 'big government' reduction clearly beneficial?
- New federalism - less federal interference in state and local affairs, business, finance and all aspect of people's lives
- Sounded positive to a nation suspicious of government intervention
- Meant less funding for state and local government projects and less regulation of business expanionism
- Less control over foreign imports
- Less social welfare for most needy
How was 'big government'reduced in short term?
- removed 23,000 pages from Federal register - cut federal regulations almost in half
- brought down cost of petrol and heating fuel through deregulation
- created federal strike force to combat government fraud and waste - saved $2billion in 6 months
- replaced federal agencies with private sector ones and federal employees with volunteers
Rising deficit - failed to control overall rising debt
Problems of removing controls
- Big companies bought smaller…