Consequences of the northern rebellion
- 450 executed
- Northumberland and Norfolk executed in 1572
- Westmorland dies in exile
- North is now under more royal control
- Council of the North reconstituted in 1572 under protestant Earl of Huntingdon
- Aristocratical territorial power in the North is weakened
- Catholic threat is lessened; Mary Queen of Scots is now closely guarded.
Why did the northern rebellion fail?
- Religion was less of a motivating force in 1569 (than 1536)
- Local government officials helped to contain threat
- Government stronger in the North than in 1536, more loyal men in the north- Lancashire and Cheshire.
- Militia system of government, this meant they…