- A prison was built in the basement if the psychology building at Stanford Universdity.
- No clocks or windows (disrupting the body clock)
- Police cars arrived and the subjects were arrested
- Subjects were fingerprinted and blindfolded
- To help with rold identification, guards wore khaki shirts/pants/batons/sunglasses
- 24 men judged to be physically and mentally stable (white, middle class/healthy). They were randomly assigned "prisoner" and "guard" - the guards weren't told how to behave except told they weren't allowed to use physical punishment/aggression.
It was meant to last 2 weeks - lasted 6 days.