The development of nuclear warhead
The atomic bomb
- Developed by the US first and used to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.
- Soivets determined to follow suit and successfully tested an atomic device in August 1949.
The hydrogen bomb
- Following the Soviet test of the atomic bomb, Truman commissioned the development of the hydrogen bomb.
- The US's Mike Tests of November 1952 resulted in a megaton explosion 1,000 times that of the explosion at Hiroshima.
- USSR was determined to catch up and produced its own H-bomb in within a year.
The arms race 1950 - 1960
- 1950 -…