- Created by: Romero-montague
- Created on: 11-05-20 14:59
- meta narrative- Nick can't escape his past either
How does it make you feel as a reader?
- It makes you feel sentimental and thoughtful. It also can make the reader feel pessemistic and hopeless- (last 4 paragraphs) emptiness?/ profunditiy/ philosophical tone
Does the close of the novel confirm it is a critical chronical of the Jazz age?
- No, I think it is a critical chronical of society
- sentance fragment/minor sentance- hopelesness- never reach a destination
- elipsis "..."- echo of Gatsby and the green light- a hopelessness
- ambiguous but sentimental?- difficult to believe- not in keeping with Nick's cynical nature
- idea of new world- an attempt to restart or create a new- create ideal/utopian society?- prosperous escaping persecution
- "fresh green breast of the new world"- natural metaphor/figurative language- mother nature metaphor- Myrtle's "breast hanging loose like a flap"- echo of Myrtle's death- can't have new world without death- death underpins
- inclusive pronoun- colonial fantasy "brooding...wonder"
- "orgastic"- fudged spelling? may not really be a word?- adjective unusual, connotes orgasmic pleasure
- Idealisim- not achieved in the novel- hopeful for future, tragically limited by past
- nihalistically optimistic/ ambiguious- hopeful and tragic (meaning isn't clear)
- no revelation about…