- Created by: Romero-montague
- Created on: 06-05-20 09:40
GATSBY'S CRIMINALITY HINTS
- prohibition- 1918-1933- illegal sale, consumption and purchase of alchohol (anti-saloon league)
- "he's a bootlegger"- transports alchohol illegally- criminality, lower status?, easy/quick/dirty money, shady character
- "one time he killed a man"- re-statement of fictions which compromise Gatsby
- "nephew to Von Hindenburg and second cousin to the Devil- conceptual
- metonym- part of something/someone standing for whole
- "rich cream colour"- pure with a hint of simister?, signifies richness/wealth, God-like imagery?
- "green leather"- visual echo, speeding towards dream- green light association
- "wind-shields that mirrored a doezn suns"- similie, understanding eyes/eyes full of dreams- brightness suggests divinity/God like position for Gatsby
- repetition of "boxes"- concealment, hollowness- different sides of Gatsby
- "monsterous length"- buried amongst brightness, sinister undertone
- a "labyrinth"- confusing, maze-like place- still doesn't make sense to anyone/difficulty of understanding, navigating
- "many layers of glass"- suggests contradictory sense of sight/seeing- partially see through- layers= obscuring
- cars representative of Gatsby- metonymic relationship
PRESENTED IMAGE OF GATSBY
- charming/charisma as in tension with seeming falsity
- "skimming hastily through a dozen magazines"- fakeness/gossip- reinforce idea of gossip and rumour- sensational- image of celebrity?- advertisement
- "I tried very hard to die"- a tragic figure?
- less of a character than a fictional narrative- a fantasy- "lived like a young rajah..." + "collecting jewels"
- "I turned towards...no longer here"- symbollically absent
WHAT RELATIONSHIP TO SOCIETY DOES HE WANT PEOPLE TO THINK HE HAS?
- has experienced more than others- is higher class but more so, ineffably more than us- promoted to major- signifies wealth and status
- "aware of bizzare accusations"
- "an enchanted life"
NEW YORK CONNOTATIONS
- 'city that never sleeps'
- 'the big apple'
- fame/celebrity- iconic- 'concrete jungle'- bussiness/prosperity- brash/shows off- modernity C. early 20th- capitalist- 'fairytale of New York'
- "even Gatsby could happen"- the 'event' of Gatsby- sensational- gorgeous?
- "The city...first time"- feeling/metaphor- wonder- breath taking- overwhealming- magical- awe- exciting- exillerating- neauveau riche?
- "first wild promise of the "mystery" and "beauty" in the world"- city regarding qualities the reader associates with Gatsby- abstract nouns
- "white heaps and sugar lumps"- sweet/idealised
- "sunlight" "flicker" "cars"- environment of New York is defined by the car- defines ideal notion of New York
- "built with a wish"- new,fresh, innocent, clean, ideal, perfect?
- Sacco and Vansetti, Al Capone
- one of worst eras for crime- gang- Chicago outfit- St Valentines day massacure
- prejudice- Jewish stereotype/slur
- jewish gangster- fears of other religions
- prejudice against- skin colour, sex, religion, immagrants (italian)
- stereotypical/anti sematic presentation
- criminal/heavily involved in the more nefarious side of…