OUTLINE OF APPROACH
- Abnormality is caused by Faulty Thinking
- Thinking, expectations and attitudes direct behaviour.
- Mental illness is the result of innapropriate thinking.
- The focus is on the way a person thinks about the problem rather than the problem itself.
- Faulty and irrational thinking prevents the individial behaving adaptively.... Ellis A-B-C model:
- A is ACTIVATING EVENT
- B is the BELIEF which is rational or irrational
- C is the CONSEQUENCE - rational beliefs lead to healthy emotions... irrational leads to unhealthy emotions.
- The Individual is in Control
- The individual is the cause of their own behaviour, as they are the one controlling their own thoughts.
METHODS OF INVESTIGATING THE COGNITIVE…