- Photosynthesis is in two stages.
- Energy from the sun is used in photosynthesis to change carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen.
- To do this it takes chloroplasts in plant cells. Chloroplasts contain pigments that absorb the light energy, for example this is what chlorophyll does.
- C = carbon dioxide H2O = water H = glucose O = oxygen
- Even though this is a single chemical reaction, photosynthesis happens in two stages.
- Water is split into oxygen by the light energy.
- However water isn't the overall product due to more being used up in the first stage than how much is produced in the second.
Glucose is converted into other substances: