- What is an atom made up of?
- The nucleus is in the middle of the atom.
- Necleus' contain both protons and neutrons.
- The protons in the nucleus give it a positive charge.
- The vast majority of the mass in an atom is concentrated in the nucleus.
- Electrons move around the nucleus in electron shells.
- Electrons are negatively charged.
- They cover a lot of space however they are very very small.
- The volume of their orbits determines the size of the atom.
- Atoms have a radius of around 10(-10) m.
- Electrons have very little mass.
Protons, neutrons and electrons:
- Protons are heavy and positively charged.
- Neutrons are heavy and neutral.
- Electrons are tiny…