- Created by: Lauren Heathcock
- Created on: 26-04-21 19:41
Proper Nouns: Names of people, towns. countries etc.
Common nouns: type or class, e.g. city or dog
Characteristics of Russian Nouns:
- Do not take an article
- They are animate or inanimate
- They are divided into 3 genders: masculine, feminine or neuter
- Most nouns have 2 number forms: singular or plural.
- All nouns are declinable, this means they change their ending based on the case used. there are a small number of indeclinable nouns.
Russian has neither definite (the) or indefinite (a) articles.
This is a book - это книга
The/a book is on the table - книга на столе
Animate and Inanimate Nouns
- people, except some collective nouns such as толпа (crowd), народ (people), молодёжь (youth), армия (army)
- all types of animals, except micro organisms such as микроб (microbe), вирус (virus), бактерия (bacterium), and some collective nouns that describe animals such as скот (cattle), стая (flock)
- Fictitious Creatures, if they can act as 'a human', such as вампир (vampire), чудовище (monster), зомби (zombie), русалка…