- Repression and the unconscious mind
- Psychoanalysis is based on the assumption that people are unaware of the facts that cause their behaviour, emotions and general mental health. Some of which happening at an unconscious level.
- Referred to as 'insight therapy' because of belief that if a person understands their past, and the influence of it on their behaviour, then they will be able to deal with problems better in their present life.
- Therapist attempts to trace unconscious factors to their origin so the person can deal with them.
- e.g. An adult struggling to form intimate relationships may link it to troubles in childhood relationships.
- Free Association
- The patient expresses thoughts as they occur, even if they seem irrelevant.
- Freud believed the value of free association lies with the belief that associations are determined by unconscious factors. Brings areas of conflict into consciousness.
- Therapist Interpretation
- Therapists listen as their patients talk, looking for clues and drawing tentative conclusions about a possible cause of the problem.
- Patients may initially resist or may even display …