- Created by: Saoirse
- Created on: 08-06-14 01:22
- Amphoteric - react with both acids and bases
- General formula NH2RCHCOOH
Zwitterions and the isoelectric point
Isoelectric point: pH value at which an amino acid exists as a zwitterion.
Zwitterion: COOH donates a H to the NH3. because both +ve and -ve charges are present there is no overall charge.
- At a pH that is more acidic than the isoelectic point:
- the amino acid behaves as a base and accepts a proton from the acid
- the amino acid forms…