Role of Joseph smith:
- founder of the religion
- good speaker- converted many to the new faith
- built a succsessful community- built up a bank, a*store
- he was unpopular. accused of fraud and misleading people
- forced to move kirkland, missouri and nauvoo
why were the mormons unpopular?
- they grew in power and wealth in a short space of time
- people became suspicious because they did not mix with non-mormons
- people thought they would take over
- they practised polygamy. this was a sin to many ordinary christians
- their beliefs made it difficult for then to co-exist with others
why did mormons move west?
- they were very unpopular due to their beliefs- accused of being frauds
- they were prescuted - jealousy over their success, too friendly to slaves/indians
- joseph smith planned to run for the presidency of the USA- this made them even more unpopular as their fears that wanted to take over seemed true
- brigham young made the decision to move west after joseph smith was killed
what were brigham youngs achievements?
- he became the leader of the mormons…