Family studies: where a sufferer of a mood identifies disorder and their families are studied
• Winokur found that the rate of unipolar depression was 10.9 % in first-degree relatives of the sufferer compared with 4.9% of control.
• Weissman et al found that 50 % of offspring to depressive parents displayed depression themselves
• Family studies do not rule out the effects of environment so the result of the experiments are not necessarily due to genetics. X
• Children of depressive parents are exposed to stressful environment X
• Conclusion cant be drawn from family studies alone X