- Created by: gabriellakcollins
- Created on: 25-03-14 19:16
John Money investigated whether identity could be changed or is bologically fixed. He had successfully gender-reassigned children born with ambigious genitalia so was interested in finding out whether children are 'gender neutral' at birth.
- Money followed up 45 males after gender-reassignment.
- He in depth studied monozygotic twins; Bruce and Brian.
- This provided a control- a biologically identical boy who did not have gender-reassignement treatment.
- After Bruce damaged his penis in a failed electrical surgery, Dr Money suggested he should be brought up female. This included being called Brenda, changing his external genitalia from male to female and being given oestrogen treatment.
- Brenda was brought up very differently from her brother; she was made to keep her hair long, where pink clothing and frilly blouses, she wore ribbons, jewellery and was given dolls…