Media Violence Debate
- The influence of media violence upon anti-social behaviour is a highly controversial topic
Following the ARMM process presented by the social learning theory, a person would copy media violence by following 4 stages:
- Attention- the person would observe violence in the media e.g. a fight on Batman.
- Retention- the person would remember the way in which violence was carried i.e. how, where, when
- Motor Reproduction- the person would replicate the behaviour i.e. they may get into a fight with someone like on the tv show.
- Motivational- they may recieve praise for showing this violent behaviour i.e. if they are a in a gang they may be praised for it. Other motivations can be internal such as feeling high levels of sdrenalain when commiting the anti-soial behaviour.
- Vicarous re-inforcement is another way in which the social learning theory suggest that people can learn to imitate violenet behaviours in the media. For instance, if a child watchs a power rangers program- where they would be rewarded for showing violent behaviour( although towards criminals), they would then replicate this behaviour in order to gain the same reward.
- Charlton's St Helena…