- 500,000- 350,000BC – Study of fossilised ear bones suggest ability to understand speech.
- 40,000BC – **** sapiens found in Africa and Europe. Some believe this is where true language originated.
- 8, 000BC – Probable first Indo-European speakers in Turkey.
- 5, 000BC – First system of writing, Sumerian, which then develops into cuneiform script.
- 2,000BC – First alphabetic script (ie. Non-pictorial) developed by Semitic Egyptian workers.
- 1,500BC – Oldest surviving Sanskrit texts.
- 400BC – Celts spread to England.
- 55BC- Roman military expedition lands in England.
Anno Domino Language:
- 43 – Roman invasion of England under Claudius.
- 150 – Germanic speakers settle in England from the coast of Germany.
- 436 - Romans complete withdrawel from Britain.
- 449 – Traditional date for the beginning of Anglo-Saxon Settlement.
- 450-480 – First (surviving) Old English (OE) runic inscriptions.
- 597 - St Augustine arrives in Britain.
- c700 – First manuscript records of OE.
- 792 - Vikings raid Britain.
- 871 – Alfred becomes King of Wessex and translates from Latin to OE.
Similar English Language resources: