- Founder of sociology
- Looks at exploitative nature of industrial capitalism
- "Spiritual father of communism"
- Wrote the "Philosiphical Manuscripts" (1844)
- Rapid industrialisation
- Brutal "untammed" capitalism in Western Europe
- Development of technology and science
- Formation and unionisation of the industrial labour class
Influences on Marx
- Georg Hegel (1770-1831) was a German philosopher
- Understood things in terms of wider web of relationships
- Humans physical needs are the causal forces in human history- Humanistic approach that Marx adapted
- Classical Political Economy of the 18th Century
- Emergence of the "commercial civilisation"
- "Invisible hand" of the market- Not interffered with by the state
Similar Sociology resources: