1. TOUCHY NATIONALISM:
- Didn’t want to be ‘second-class’ nation (small navy, league had refused its clause on racial equality)
2. WEAK ECONOMY:
- Depression à WSC àUSA and China put up protective tariffs on traded goods
- Raw materials and living space from Manchuria
3. WEAK GOVERNMENT:
- Weak civilian government
- Could not control army
- Military leaders often dictated policy and ignored govnt.
4. WEAKNESS OF CHINA:
- Sept 1931: Japan claimed explosion on railway tracks of South Manchurian Railway by sabotage of Chinese soldiers
- Could make this claim as Chinese govnt. was otherwise preoccupied with an encirclement campaign against communism – didn’t notice.
- Japanese soldiers overran Manchuria