Investigate what happens when a nurse is ordered to carry out a procedure which goes against her professional standards.
- Identical boxes of capsules, placed in 22 wards in USA
- Were placebos but were labelled '5mg capsules of Astrofen'
- Label also indicated max daily dose of 10 mg
- 'Doctor' instructed nurse by phone to give patient 20mg of astrofen as he was in a hurry and patient needed capsules
- Said he would sign authorisation when he got there
- Real doctor nearby observed what the nurse did next
- Then they revealed to the nurse what was really going on.
- 21 out of 22 nurses obeyed
- 11 said they were aware of discrepancy in the dosage
- Dramatic difference between what nurses interviewed said they would do and…