Hitler - Weak Dictator?
- 'Hitler Myth' - built on fear
- Ultimately weak in that he relied on albeit a very powerful propaganda machine run by Goebbels, to provide a facade, a myth
- The idea that Hitler was an 'all powerful dictator' was from Nazi propaganda
- Rosenthal - 'without Goebbels, there was no Hitler'
- Hitler was too preoccupied with his self-image
- Several powerful empires ran underneath Hitler
- Structuralist emphasise the 'institutional anarchy' of the Nazi regime and of a 'leadership chaos'. They argue that Hitler was merely a puppet, a figurehead
- Polycratic chaotic goverment - consequence of Hitler's inability to effectively direct government
- There were no clear decision-making procedures, and often no clear lines of accountability
- Structures were often duplicated and overlapping in their functions,…