- Created by: kevin495
- Created on: 02-04-20 19:02
Key idea 1.1
Tectonic Hazards can be classified as either seismic or volcanic.
Most earthquakes occur in the pacific ring of fire as well as 75% of active volcanoes are also found in the pacific ring of fire. Key terms:
- Seismic - Relating to the movement of rocks within the earth's crust
- Intra Plate - Occur in the middle of tectonic plates.
Plate Boundaries & Plate movements
- Divergent/constructive - where two plates move away from each other
- Convergent/Destructive - where two plates are moving towards each other
- Transform/Conservative - where two plates appear to slide alongside each other
Types of crust:
- Continental - less dense, not subducted, oldest rocks on earth
- Oceanic - more dense, but thinner, constantly being subducted and renewed through plate movement
- Convection currents - circular motion and transfer of heat in the mantle as hotter, less dense magma rises, begins to cool and then falls as it becomes more dense.
- Slab Pull - is the portion of motion of a tectonic plate that can be accounted for by its…