- Created by: theshyone
- Created on: 15-04-18 08:57
- The reason crime is committed is due to the inadequate or inappropriate socialisation into the shared values.
- Modern Societies and their complex division of labour, different groups and classes may have their own subcultures.
- Miller - the lower class has own subculture and shared norms and values. This clashes with the mainstream shared values and norms.
- toughness and pursuit excitement as a conforming norm - conflict with the law.
Strain Theory -
- Deviant behaviour is because they can't achieve legitimately.
- Merton - lower classes result in deviance due to American Society class structure denies working class the opportunity to achieve the 'money success' that America values highly. (American Dream)
- Linking with Education due to their lack of educational success - labelling, a to c, educational triage etc. they can't achieve legitimately. So they seek other ways of achieving.
- Innovation - the use of 'new' deviant means such as 'theft', 'fraud', or other property crime to gain wealth.
- Explains why working class has a higher utilitarian rate as middle class.
Subcultural theories -
- Cohen - working-class youths as culturally deprived…