Experiences of immigrants
While there were some examples to show that immigrants were welcomed in Britain, upon arrival many immigrants experienced hostility and discrimination. This took several forms:
- Decent and affordable housing and accomadation was very hard to find.
- Local authorities required immigrants to live in Britain before they could apply for council housing.
- Banks and building societies often refused to give immigrants loans or mortgages.
- Many pubs and bars refused to serve immigrants.
- trade unions claimed that immigrants were taking British jobs. In the West Midlands in 1955, transport workers even went on…
Similar History resources: