1948 British Nationality Act
- This gave British citizenship to anyone who lived in the British Empire.
- Potentially 400 million people applied for citizenship.
- They had the right to enter Britain and stay for as long as liked and to have a British passport.
- Employers could now look for workers from all over the world, particularly the Caribbean.
The Empire Windrush, 1948
- The Empire Windrush arrived in Tillbury, Essex on 22nd June 1948, carrying 492 passengers from the Caribbean wishing to start…
Similar History resources: