- Created by: lucyramsden1
- Created on: 25-11-17 17:30
Topic 3- Religion and Equality
CHRISTIAN VIEWS ON DISCRIMINATION
- Christians say that the bible teaches that everyone is equal in the eyes of god.
- All christians believe that racial discrimination is wrong.
- Some Christians (but not all) believe that men and women should have different roles and that only men should become priests.
- Some christians (again, not all) believe that christianity is the only religion, and many are committed to evangelism, whilst some support the ecumenical movement.
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
- that god loves everyone unconditionally e.g. the lost son story in lukes gospel.
- god created everyone in his image (imago dei - genesis 1:27)
- god does not show favourites, we are all the same - James 2
- parable of the sheep and the goats - matthew 25
- treat others as you wish to be treated - matthew - golden rule
- equality: means having equal opportunities regardless of race, gender or religious beliefs (not that everyone is the same, we are all unique but deserve the same opportunities.)
- prejudice: a preconceived opinion, not based on actual reason.
- discrimination: actions taken based on prejudice.
WHAT ARE CHRISTIAN ATTITUDES TO EQUALITY?
christian attitudes are based on beliefs and what the bible says:
- all human beings are valuable
- we are all unique and made individually by god
- all made in the image of god (imago dei)
- god does not have favourites
- christians should care for all people
- christians should treat others with respect
- christians support the values laid down in the declaration of human rights.
- WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT EQUALITY?
- parable of the good samaritan - Luke 10
CHRISTIAN ATITUDES TOWARDS RACISM
- racism is prejudiced or discrimination against someone due to the colour of the skin, which christians would be against.
- however, in the past christianity has been accused of being racist.
- however, nowadays christians would say that god loves all people, and so they must challenge racism.
- examples of individuals who have spoken out about racism in the christian community:
- Martin Luther King
- Desmond Tutu
3 INSTANCES WHERE JESUS SHOWED NO DISCRIMINATION OR PREJUDICE
- jesus healed a roman even though the romans were hated
- he showed respect to women who were at the time seen as less important that men.
- he made a samaritan the hero of a story even though the people of samaria were not respected by the jews.
- (the parable of the good samaritan, the healing of the roman centurions servant)
WOMEN IN JESUS' TIME
- 2nd class citizens
- husbands owned them
- jewish men thanked god they were not born as women
- separate areas to worship in the synagogue
- rabbis would not teach women
JESUS' BELIEFS ABOUT WOMEN
- jesus believed they were equal to men
- women were the ones to discover jesus had risen
- mary magdalene was the first to see the risen jesus
- jesus healed women
- jesus let women listen to his teachings
it was after the second world war that attitudes to women in the workplace started to change.