Ethical issues arise when there is conflict between how research should be carried out and the methodological consequences oberving this.
Ethical research means upholding ethical guildelines, treating participants with respect, have concern for their well being, not abusing their trust.
Ethical guidelines set by the BPS and Ethical committes attempt to make sure people withold ethical rules.
- Decpetion (not telling true aims- Milgram)
- Informed Consent (giving permission- Rosenhan)
- Protection from harm (must be protected- Milgram)
- Right to withdraw (any time they wish to do so- Zimbardo)
- Confidentiality and Privacy (must be secure, only when expected- Middlemist et al)