- Non-renewable energy sources AND biofuels can have damaging effects on the environment.
- All three fossil fuels release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Coal releases the most C02, then oil and then gas.
- All this carbon dioxide contributes to the Greenhouse effect, which leads to global warming and climate change.
- Burning coal and oil also releases sulfur dioxide which causes acid rain. Acid rain is harmful to trees, lakes and soil as well as buildings.
- Acid rain can be reduced by removing the sulfur from the fuel before it is burnt, or clearing up the emissions.
- Coal mining destroys the landscape, especially 'open cast mining'
- Oil spillages cause serious environmental problems, affecting mammals and birds that live…