Describes the way an ecosystem changes over time.
The first stage is when the pioneer species cultivate the hostile land.
Key features of a pioneer species are:
- Produce vast quantities of wind dispersed seeds which can germinate isolated areas
- Tolerant to extreme conditions
- Able to photosynthesise where nutrients are not available
- Able to fix atmospheric nitrogen
- Able to quickly germinate seeds on arival
An example of succession:
1) The weathering of a bare rock causes a layer of soil to form on the surface
2) Lichen, a pioneer species, are able to cultivate this hostile soil
3) The lichen die, increasing…