The Structure of DNA.
DNA causes the variety of life.
- Found in the nucleus
- Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes.
- Reproduction cells (gametes) only have 23 chromosomes.
- In chromosomes there are genes
- Genes are a length of DNA that codes for a protein.
- These determine everything about you.
- Genes have different alleles (hair is black, or blue of brown)
- DNA controls all the chemical changes in the cell
- DNA is a very large molecule made of long chains of subunits.
- DNA is a polymer- made of lots of subunits called nucleotides.
Nucleotides consist of deoxyribose sugar, a phosphate group and a base.
The phosphate group contains phosphorous and oxygen.
This is an example of a pentose sugar- it has 5 sugars.
The base contains Nitrogen.
There are 4 possible bases
A molecule of DNA is formed by millions of nucleotides joined together in a long chain.
The nucleotides join together in a condensation reaction; meaning H2O is released. DNA molecules consist of 2 strands of DNA. These strands join together to form a…