- Created by: monicaraviraj
- Created on: 29-10-18 13:00
BALANCED DIET - eating all the right nutrients the body needs to be healthy.
A balanced diet should contain all the nutrients + energy needed for sport, so there shouldn't be the need to take supplements.
NUTRIENT - substance that provides nourishment for essential life and growth.
Recomended daily intake:
FEMALES - 1940 kcal
MALES - 2550 kcal
55% Carbohydrates, <30% fat, 15% protein, 5-a-day, 2.5l of water
SUPPLEMENT - substances used to enhance athletic performance. These maninly include vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc.
Water - makes up approx 60-70% of the body. it regulates:
1. Body temperature
2. heart rate
3. transport of essential nutrients
Dehydration - increased perceived effort, decreases level of performance, impairs concentration/judgement.
- provide muscles with main source for ATP resynthesis.
- starches stored as glycogen in the liver and muscle cells
- sugars stored as glucose in the blood
- glycogen + glucose are broken doen by the anaerobic glycolytic system and the aerobic system.
- atheltes often eat a diet high in carbs / do carb loading prior to a big event.
- made of amino…