- Created by: caitlinnpage
- Created on: 25-04-16 14:24
OVERVIEW OF THE FOUR MODELS OF ABNORMALITY
- The Biological Approach
- A biological psychologist explains abnormal behaviour in terms of abnormal biology... mental disorder is a conclusion of biological systems malfunctioning.
- Treatment should repair faulty systems using somatic therapies; drugs, ECT and psychosurgery.
- Also called the medical model, treats abnormality as a physical condition. Widely accepted! They are to be treated much like physical illnesses.
- The Psychodynamic Approach
- Explain behaviour in terms of its dynamics; Freud's psychoanalytic theory of personality is the best known example.
- Freud was the first to challenge the medical model, claiming mental disorders were…